Tuesday, August 17, 2010

8.1 HW

A question about #27 in the HW was emailed to me. Thought I'd share my reply...

I bet you just graphed it. All you have to do is put your calculator in "dot" and "sequence" mode, and you'll get dots on your graph. Don't forget to put n - 1 in parenthesis when you enter it. And in the future, don't worry when you come across a problem that is unlike those we've done in class. I like to challenge my students to do the thinking on their own for some of the problems. When you run across these types, make an attempt, and if wrong, sleep on it. For real! You'll be surprised how often your brain can solve a problem that you've been stuck on during the day, while you sleep at night! If you still wake up clueless, that's okay. I spend a lot of time answering homework problems the next day in class. Going over all of the "aha" moments during this part of the class really helps a lot of students. As the class progresses, you hopefully will enjoy the challenge of these problems!

No comments:

Post a Comment